What's it like to be a SAP Consultant?
SAP Consultants, or System Applications Products Consultants, are integral in the information technology (IT) industry, or in an organization's IT department. They primarily develop and administer technology solutions to meet clients' technical requirements to optimize their business performance.
Tasks and duties
- Coordinating with clients to identify and understand technical needs.
- Developing, managing, and supporting SAP systems to meet company objectives.
- Troubleshooting system-related problems to ensure optimum business performance.
- Preparing and communicating updates on technical systems to clients or superiors as required.
- Training IT personnel and other staff in the implementation of SAP systems, as well as creating relevant guidelines.
SAP Consultants typically need a strong understanding of SAP systems, as well as the ability to analyze complex data and make decisions according to the needs of the client. SAP Consultants work closely with their partners, so they must also have strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills on top of technical knowledge.
How to become a SAP Consultant
Most SAP Consultants have a bachelor degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, or a related field. At least one-year technical experience may also be required.
Complete a bachelor degree in the field of Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Technology. Related fields of study may also be accepted.
Acquire a SAP certification by taking an additional SAP training course or program in the Philippines or abroad. Most courses and programs can also provide you with other skills needed to be an SAP Consultant, such as strong communication or interpersonal skills.
Gain relevant SAP experience by applying to a wide range of companies, preferably in the IT industry, as a Junior SAP Consultant or as an intern to grow your skills further.